Okay, I’ll admit it… I’m in love with quinoa! I don’t know how I just discovered this miracle grain within the last 2 years. As a vegetarian it’s packed with vital nutrients and tons of protein! It keeps me full for a long time and I love the texture (seedy) which is probably why my husband hates quinoa. This is m favorite go to meal, it’s packed with flavor, fills me up, freezes well and heats up beautifully! I adapted this recipe from a favorite recipe to make it a little more 21 day fix friendly. You can find the original recipe HERE.
Mexican Quinoa (21 day fix approved)
Makes 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno ,diced (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14.5oz) canned diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp smoky southwestern spice (recipe below) OR 1 tsp chili powder + 1 tsp cumin
- Optional: Lime wedge, cilantro and avocado (add a blue container)
- Heat oil in large skillet and cook garlic (& jalapeno if you’re using) over medium heat for 1 minute
- Add quinoa, vegetable broth, black beans, tomatoes, spices and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through (20 minutes)
- Stir in spinach until wilted (less than a minute)
- Divide into 4 equal portions. Add avocado, cilantro and squirt lime right before eating.
Notes: Cool completely before storing. Reheat in the microwave. This keeps in the freezer (I usually eat within 2 weeks but it would last longer).
Smoky southwest seasoning: 1 Tbso chili powder, 1 Tbsp cumin, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp smoked paprika. Mix together in a small jar (keep you old spice jars!).
21 day fix portions:
Vegetarian: 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1tsp, 1 blue (If using avocado)
Regular: Count the beans as a yellow- 1.5 yellows, 1 green, 1 tsp, 1 blue (If using avocado)