So, I adapted this recipe from Autumn Calabrese new cookbook, Fixate. Which offers wonderful beginner based cooking recipes around the 21 day fix but really can be used for any healthy lifestyle! So, I stumbled upon this recipe and we love kabobs and grilling in the summer so I thought it would be worth a shot. There aren’t many ingredients in the marinade so I was a little skeptical but they were delicious and I will definitely make these again! If you try it let me know what you think! The original recipe called for less vegetables, canned pineapples and used chicken.
Soy Ginger (or chicken) Grilled Kabobs
Serves 4 (2 skewers each)
- 8 bamboo skewers (soak in water for 30 minutes so they don’t catch on fire)
- 1 lb shrimp (or boneless/skinless chicken cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tso extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 medium red or yellow pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 large onion cut into 1 inch chunks
- Place shrimp or chicken in resealable bag, add soy sauce, oil and ginger. Seal the bag and shake gently to mix. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill on medium heat
- Put pepper chunk, pineapple, onion and shrimp/chicken onto a skewer. Repeat so that skewer has 2 pieces of each. Repeat until all of the skewers are full. Throw away the marinate/bag.
- Grill the skewers for 5-7 minutes on each side
- Serve immediately!
NOTES: This would go great over brown rice or a salad and you could reheat the next day for lunch but typically I don’t eat fish more than 2 days after I’ve cooked it. Plus the pineapple was a little weird the second day.
21 day fix: 1 red, 1/2 green, 1/2 purple, 1/2 tsp