This was introduced to me by my beautiful sister and it is simply amazing! It’s so filling and tasty that I can’t believe I haven’t thought of it before! You can also cook this on your stove top if you prefer warm oatmeal or have the time 🙂
Coconut Chia Overnight Oats
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk or water)
2 tsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp Shredded unsweetend coconut
2 tsp Peanut butter
t tsp Maple syrup (or more to sweeten)
Mix all ingredients in a mason jar.
Store in fridge overnight.
Notes: Store in the fridge and use within 4 days, can be served cold or warm up in the microwave.
Black bean burgers are a staple in most vegetarian diets but I’m sick of frozen patties and tired of restaurants either serving the frozen patties or creating a black bean burger that’s completely dried out, crumbly and tasteless. I’ve tried making black bean burgers before and they are extremely hard to do and easy to mess up. Until I stumbled upon this healthy version HERE and thought I can make that and make it fix approved! The biggest difference between this recipe and all the other recipes is that you remove the water before mashing it all together, it seems like such common sense but I’d never thought to do that! The flavor is incredible and while mine was a little dry, the added avocado on top made it creamy and delicious!
Black Bean Burger
Serves: 4 burgers
15oz can of black beans, rinsed, drained and dried
1/2 onion, cut in to medium chunks
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into medium chunks
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup oatmeal
Heat up your grill to medium
Mash you black beans, I did this in the little strainer I washed and dried them in and it worked pretty well but you could use a medium bowl, set aside
Puree your oatmeal in a blender or food processor, I used a blender some chunks are ok, pour into a small bowl
Puree your onion and red pepper until broken up but not mush, a few pulses, remove and place in bowl and remove the excess water! I used a paper towel and blotted forever to get all that water out but this is so important so don’t skip it! Mix it in with the black beans.
Beat the egg in a small bowl and add the spices until mixed.
Add the egg mixture to the black bean mixture
Add the oatmeal crumbs to the black bean mixture until mixture is sticky but holds together. You may need to add a little more oatmeal to really get it to stick!
Pack the black bean mixture into a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop out with a spatula and form patties on a plate, this should make 4 burgers
Grill for about 8 minutes per side, you may need to place them on a piece of aluminum foil so they don’t fall between the cracks of your grill, I didn’t need to but better safe than sorry.
NOTES: Serve over a bed of lettuce or favorite bread. Top with whatever toppings you have but trust me when I say guac pairs super well with this! If you add toppings it may changes the nutritional value and containers. Other toppings to consider: hummus, sliced cheese, feta cheese, salsa or tomatoes.
The 21 day fix and the 21 day fix Extreme is on sale AGAIN for the month of July! If you missed this in June, do no miss it now! If you’re tired of not seeing results and want to finally learn how to eat clean and do effective 30 minute workouts, you HAVE to try the 21 day fix!! It’s changed my life and it can change yours too!
These little containers changed my life! I consider them my not so secret weapon with how I managed to gain control of my bad eating. That eating plan and those containers are all you need to create your food for the day.. it’s that simple! If it fits in the container, you eat it! You learn to balance your food across your day by eating the right types of food from a food list.
You control your results, if you stick to the plan, do the workouts, dial in on your nutrition you will see amazing results!
This also comes with the 7 workouts on 2 DVDs, plus a bonus DVD! You can see my breakdown of the workouts in my review: HERE
AND you get a month’s supply of shakeology, the healthiest meal of the day. Shakeology is worth it’s weight! It helps reduce cravings, fills you up and gives you the nutrients your body is craving… plus you get ENERGY! I’ll help you plan it in to your day so that you get the most out of it depending on your needs.
My next private facebook challenge group is going to be starting on July 20th, send me an email if you want to be a part of it! (firstname.lastname@example.org) The group helps everyone prepare and understand the materials, we share recipes, motivation, success and struggles throughout the 21 days! If you’re looking for more support and motivation these are great groups to join and they hold you accountable. I run them constantly, as long as I have interest, to help keep people going.
Click on the banner below to sign up and get started or shoot me an email (email@example.com)
I love oatmeal, it’s so versatile, nutritious and fills me up. I’m a creature of habit and usually only eat my oatmeal with frozen berries and little honey. Recently I tried adding 1-2 tsp of peanut butter to my morning oats and seriously… it’s the real deal! I also LOVE peanut butter so I can’t believe I have never thought to do this before. It’s so simple but just what I needed to shake things up.
PB & Jelly Oatmeal
1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup water
1-2 tsp peanut butter, nautral
1 cup fresh cut strawberries
OPTIONAL: 1 tsp honey
Add oatmeal and water to bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds
After removing from the microwave put 1-2 tsp natural peanut butter and stir until mixed completely
Add strawberries and honey (if using) and stir
21 day fix: 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1-2 tsp
NOTES: You can also make this on the stove top by cooking the oatmeal by what the package says just add the peanut butter and strawberries after it’s done cooking.
This is different but the flavor combinations are amazing and I probably drink this once a week when I’m getting tired of fruit in my shake. If you have a texture issue this is NOT the shake for you as the oatmeal can be chunky but I offer a suggestion below.
Oatmeal Cookie Shakeology
Makes 1 serving
I scoop vanilla shakeology
2 Tbsp dry oatmeal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
12-14 oz water
Add water to the blender with the oats (if you have the time soak the oats for 10ish minutes)
Add shakeology and cinnamon
Add desired amount of ice, I like 5-6 ice cubes
21 day fix containers: 1 red, 1/4 yellow, honestly I don’t count,cinammon is FREE
I hear it all the time, as I am saying it to myself a lot as well… weekends are tough. You plan and stick to plan for the first 5 days and then Friday night hits and everything unravels. There are several reasons for why you do it and I suggest you look at yourself for the answers as to why you sabotage all of your hard work. For me, I feel like it’s a time to unwind, celebrate and reward myself for surviving the week. It sounds silly when you say it out loud but we all think similar thoughts. Or we tell ourselves, I can have 1 drink…. well that 1 drink turns in to a bottle… or 2 depending on how crazy you feel like getting.
We are out of our normal routine, surrounded by temptations, we usually haven’t set plan because we don’t know where the weekend will take us. We also tell ourselves “just 1 won’t hurt me” but that quickly turns in to “oh that’s pretty good, I’ve already had 1, what’s wrong with another one” and THEN that turns in to “well I blew my diet… might as well enjoy it”…… sound familiar? I am going to be doing a 2 part surviving the weekend blog post but wanted to start with my thoughts on surviving the weekend without wrecking all of you hard work. Will you be perfect all the time? I hope not. Will you commit to making healthier choices? I hope so!
1. Get your workouts done early. Schedule your workouts for first thing so you can’t talk yourself out of them. I know this is a time to sleep in but why can’t you nap later? Fear you won’t have time… well that’s why you’re getting your workout in so you can’t tell yourself that excuse later! Plan your workout with a friend! This is great especially if you’re traveling and are seeing someone you haven’t seen in awhile. Invite them to workout with you! I’m not saying bust out your Insanity DVD with your great grandma but take a walk or plan some other fun active outing. I’ve found more often then not if I include the people I’m spending time with in my activity I’m more likely to get it done and it’s usually A LOT more fun.
2. Drink LOTS of water!!! This is when I tend to stray from my water and mistake my thirst for hunger. Carry your water bottle with you, refill often, add extras (mint, lemon, lime) to jazz it up a bit. If you are partaking in alcohol- limit and drink water between drinks. While we’re on the topic of alcohol stay away from sugary drinks (especially those including soda or syrups). When I was pregnant with Elizabeth I drank flavored seltzer with frozen fruit in fancy glasses so I didn’t feel left out.
3. Plan as best you can for the weekend. You may not know what you’re doing that weekend or what meals you’re eating so plan your workouts, plan your breakfast or plan some snacks you can easily take with you. I highly suggest having a backup plan if your plans find you at home, have easy meals on hand that don’t take much prep time. If you aren’t cooking and are at the mercy of someone else cooking all weekend, offer to bring something and then make it a healthy meal you could eat for dinner (see #4). Things may not go as planned, stay close to plan as possible and let it go if you have some slip ups, no one is perfect. Trust me the hot dog and potato salad you just ate will not completely undo all of your hard work that week, the faster you get back to plan the better.
4. Bring a healthy main dish you can eat to parties and plan to not go to the party hungry. Being a vegetarian I am used to always bringing a dish with me so I know I have something I can eat, so I just make sure it’s healthy and that it’s filling! A simple cold pasta salad can add tons of flavor, fill you up and you can make it healthy. Try eating a filling snack before the party so you’re not going ravenous and devouring those peanut M&Ms that are in dishes everywhere. I find a healthy fat (almonds) and fruit fill me up and are satisfying, so throw some peanuts and an apple in your bag on the way out. Blue diamond almonds containers fit in your cup holder AND their lid is the portion size… I mean how GENIUS is that!
5. Plan for NEXT week THIS week. I can’t tell you HOW important I think this is if you’re really trying to stay on track. If you’re out of town on Sunday the LAST thing you are going to want to do is come home and think about what you’re going to eat the rest of the week let alone for that night at dinner. Just get it done! Even if you just plan Sunday dinner and all your meals Monday- it’s a HUGE help. I save all of my meal plans and have several I’ve listed as my Go-To’s of simple but effective meals I’ll pull out when I’m in a time crunch.
5. Have lots of on the go snacks ready! I’ve mentioned this before but I feel the need to mention it again because I can’t stress it enough! You either LOVE snacking or you forget to snack, either because you’re so busy and you didn’t plan or maybe you’re “saving” your calories for later that day. A healthy snack can go a LONG way! My favorite are nuts, seeds, peanut butter with apples or carrots, string cheese, kind bars, rice cakes with nut butter or shakeology. Throw them in your bag, plan them in your day and have them ready to grab when hunger strikes and you’re out and about so you don’t buy a snack at the gas station… which I don’t even know about you but I am NOT buying an apple from a gas station as a snack. Grosssssss
6. Do something outside and keep BUSY. Keep your hands busy with other things other than shoveling food and alcohol in your face…. seems simple enough right? Not if you’re looking to relax. Even on unplanned weekends plan SOMETHING, you’ll thank me later. These days it seems like all we’re doing is rushing around so when we find some time to relax we take it! So enjoy your downtime if you have it and feel blessed because a lot of us don’t but try and get outside and avoid a netflix marathon on a Saturday afternoon (even though that sounds like HEAVEN). Do something your future self will thank you for!
So, what do you think? Any of these tips helpful? This is what I’m thinking about as we gear up for memorial day weekend. I haven’t been the best with my goals since Sunday so I’m looking to the weekend to buckle down and get serious so I can start Monday with a bang! Here’s to a healthier weekend and taking it 1 day at a time. I’ll leave you with one of my favorite memes:
Spring in to summer 30 day challenge starting May 25!
Summer is only 45 days away. This group will focus on getting healthier, more fit and feeling and looking your best. This isn’t about getting skinny, it’s about feeling good about yourself and enjoying life!!
You’ll pick your favorite flavor of Shakeology and your favorite beachbody fitness program and join me (and several others on my team) for 30 days as we challenge ourselves to get fit for summer.
30 days of:
-REWARDS!! Not only in the form of your health but actual give aways!!
You are not going to want to wait another day much less another summer to start. I will help with meal planning or whatever else you are struggling with on this journey to make it as easy as possible for you. Who wants to join me? Shoot me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or comment below!